Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Mike Miller for West Elm


West Elm's new collaboration with artist and antiques dealer Mark Miller really strikes a cord with me, and I love the graphic nature of his silhouette prints and pillows.

In undergrad one of my most time consuming installations involved meticulously cutting out every object image from a vintage 35 volume series of Time Magazine books that chronicled "everything" in this world, and arranging them on a large 12 foot wall. I have always been attracted to collage and the use of cut outs for their narrative qualities. By removing and image from its original context and recontextualizing it amongst foreign images, a dynamic and new narrative emerges.

I get the same feeling from Mike Miller's new line of products at West Elm and I love subtle differences in neutrals between the silhouettes.



The pillows below are also pretty cool--although I definitely think I prefer the prints.

Available at West Elm.

No comments:

Post a Comment