Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Octopus!





At the age of 10 or so, my sister and I were fishing on a dock near Gig Harbor, Washington and we caught a SQUID! We were accustomed to pulling up perch, flounder, and the occasional bullhead on our lines, but never had seen a live squid at the end of our reel! Panicing and screaming, we had our dad pull the squid off the hook--as it shot dark ink into the air. Upon placing it into our large bucket, it turned the water black as it rocketed back and forth.

In the past, I have done several art pieces about my childhood relationship with molluscs and have always been fascinated by bivalve creatures (so wierd...I know!).

Anyway, I found this image of a room designed around a fantastic painting (I think?) of an octopus. I really love the graphic nature of the creature as it shows off its tentacles against the high gloss walls.

I found the other two images from the New York Public Library's online archive of images.

No comments:

Post a Comment